GameMaker Studio is one of the most popular game-creation tools when it comes to active support forums and community. The tool was created by Mark Overmars in 1999 and developed by YoYo Games since 2007.
GameMaker Studio 2 is the latest iteration which was released in 2017. It supports game building for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Ubuntu, HTML5, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Microsoft UWP, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
GameMaker Studio is good for quick prototype, lots of tutorials, which is suitable for non-programmers.
Tutorials and Courses
- Yoyo Games Tutorials – This section contains a huge wealth of information and tutorials available from Yoyo Games and the best from their community. There are many tutorials on how to make a specific type of game.
- Be a Game Maker with GameMaker Studio 2 – Participants will learn how to use GameMaker UI functions such as adding assets to a Game Maker project, creating beautiful visual effects. Furthermore, you will learn how to write code for different game objects including player, enemies and bosses.
- Making an Action-Adventure Game Using GameMaker Studio 2 – This course is all about creating a 2D action-adventure game with GameMaker Studio 2, from the ground up. The tutorials cover Data structures, Auto-tiling and tile collisions, Finite state machines, NPC movement and textboxes, Making houses and going inside them, Saving your game and loading it, A day-night cycle using blend modes, and much more!
- How to Make Tile Based Platform Games in Gamemaker Studio 2 – This course will teach you many tricks and techniques that can then be applied to making a very polished and professional looking platformer game. You will learn to develop a player with movement and attack, room with obstacles and traps, enemy.
- Building a Crafting Game – This course is all about developing a crafting game, where player collect resources and create new things. You will learn about GameMaker Language basics, player movement with pickaxe, resolution handling, breaking objects with pickaxe, setting up data with arrays and enums, stacking inventory using data structures, user interfaces, crafting systems, and more!
- TweenGMS – TweenGMS Pro is a feature-rich tweening engine which is both flexible and easy-to-use. It features fire-and-forget tweening, step and seconds(delta) timing, time scale control (global and per-tween), play modes (once,bounce,patrol,loop,repeat), state control (pause, resume, stop, finish, reverse), automatic memory and persistence management, advanced callback system, custom variable easing, path resource tweening, data structure support, delayed tweens, control groups, heavily optimized, and more…
- Draw Text Outline – Allows you to draw text with an automatic outline. Arguments let you define the standard stuff (x and y coordinates, string) as well as the outline colour, outline thickness, and outline fidelity (accuracy – performance vs looks)
- Share – Mobile – Share text, screenshots, surfaces, included files (images, gifs, videos, music, etc.) and more, designating which social network to use or open the system pop-up with all supported apps.
- Beat’em Up Engine – Create your own beat’em up games with the most complete Beat’em Up Engine in marketplace.
- Input Dog – Makes it easy to handle gamepad and keyboard controls.
- GMLive.gml – GMLive is an extension that introduces livecoding / interactive programming into GameMaker.
- Socket.IO – It enables real-time, bidirectional and event-based communication.
- Pop-up Text Box – Dynamic Size – These are pop-up text dialog boxes that show up above an object depending on the condition you set. Size is auto-adjusted to fit into the space taken by the text, without any loss in image quality.
- Turn Based Framework – This framework takes the hardest part of turn-based game out such as Skill System, Varied Tile Types, Turn Order System, Simple Turn Based AI, Damage Types and make you make game faster.
- PostFx Pack 2 – Inside this package you’ll find all the necessary assets to use this professional pack of hi-quality image post processing effects (aka PostFx). it supports Thermal vision, Dual tone, Blur, Outliner, and Bloom.