PHP is an open-source scripting language commonly used to develop webpages, both dynamic and static. The acronym PHP stands for Hypertext Processor.
Tutorials and Online Courses
What follows is a brief overview of the top five most popular websites to learn PHP.
- php5-tutorial.com – Their tutorial is designed for beginners that have some understanding of HTML and CSS. It covers all the basics and you can skip a section that you are familiar with. Furthermore, it has a section that covers PHP and MySql. That way you can also learn how databases work as part of a PHP script.
- Youtube PHP Front To Back – This is a free youtube course brought to us by Traversy Media. The videos range from 18 to 23 minutes in length. The content covers all the basic principles of PHP, working with databases, Apache, and so on. Plus, there are mini project tutorials on how to create a login system, contact form, and so on.
- nusphere.com – This is one of the most thorough free courses that covers everything from installing and configuring PHP and Apache to some of the most important PHP security issues and their solutions. It is a simple learning platform made for those eager to learn at their own pace and without any distraction.
- PHP The Right Way – At first, this looks like a generic online tutorial website for learning PHP. To some extend it exactly that, as it contains the basic resources for learning PHP. But once you dive into it, you will find that it’s regularly updated, it is easy to read, supports only the best coding practices, and links to other exceptionally practical online tutorials.
- Udemy – PHP for Beginners – More than 70,000 students have used this particular course to learn to program in PHP. What makes it so popular is that not only you will learn the basics of PHP, but also how to work on CMS projects. To that end, the course comes with a set of practical projects and exercises.
Best PHP Code Editors
Popular PHP Frameworks
- Laravel – Laravel is a web application framework with expressive, elegant syntax.
- CodeIgniter – CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for developers who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.
- Symfony – Symfony is an extensive PHP MVC framework with the 50 stand-alone components available for your own applications.
- CakePHP – CakePHP is simple and easy to install, as you only need a web server and a copy of the framework. CakePHP 4 is a web development framework running on PHP 7.4 (min. PHP 7.2).
- Yii – Yii is a fast, secure, and efficient PHP framework. It’s a high-performance, component-based framework for developing modern web applications.
Popular PHP CMS
- WordPress – The most famous blogging platform which you can use to easily create a beautiful website, blog, or app.
- Magento – Magento empowers thousands of retailers and brands with the best eCommerce platforms.
- Drupal – Drupal is an open source platform for building multi-purpose websites.
- Joomla – Joomla! is the mobile-ready and user-friendly way to build your website.
- OpenCart – An open source PHP-based online e-commerce solution.
- ExpressionEngine – A fast, flexible, feature-rich PHP CMS for building amazing websites.
- PyroCMS – Built on the worlds most popular PHP framework, Laravel.
- WriteCodeOnline – Write and test run php code online from your browser anywhere, anytime.
- PHP Array Example – Random PHP array data.
Online Database Manager
- phpMyAdmin – phpMyAdmin is a free software tool written in PHP, intended to handle the administration of MySQL over the Web. phpMyAdmin supports a wide range of operations on MySQL and MariaDB. Frequently used operations (managing databases, tables, columns, relations, indexes, users, permissions, etc) can be performed via the user interface, while you still have the ability to directly execute any SQL statement.
- Adminer – Adminer (formerly phpMinAdmin) is a full-featured database management tool written in PHP. Conversely to phpMyAdmin, it consist of a single file ready to deploy to the target server. Adminer is available for MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MS SQL, Oracle, Firebird, SimpleDB, Elasticsearch and MongoDB.
Web-based File Manager
- PHP File Manager – A good solution for managing files and folders for developers who can’t access their site over SSH or FTP.
- Tiny File Manager – TinyFileManager is web based file manager and it is a simple, fast and small file manager with a single file, multi-language ready web application for storing, uploading, editing and managing files and folders online via web browser.
- PHP Constant
Like in other programming languages, a constant in PHP is an identifier for a fixed value. Unlike variable, a constant is defined once and its value can't be changed during...
- Generate Dummy Data in CodeIgniter with Faker Library
Faker is a popular PHP library which can be used in any PHP frameworks like CodeIgniter to generate dummy data for development or testing purpose. Faker can be used to...
- PHP Cron Job Examples and Libraries
Cron is a time-based job scheduler in Unix-like operating systems, they can execute a group of tasks automatically such as backing database, sending emails at certain times in the future....
- PHP Timezone List
In this post you will find a complete timezone name list. These timezones can be used in PHP code to set default timezone of an application. date_default_timezone_set('America/Adak'); $datetime = new...
- How to access WordPress functions in an external PHP file
To use any core functions of WordPress such as database query, theme, and hook we need to write code in a theme's template file or in a plugin. There are...
- Force a PDF file to open in web browser instead of download in PHP
Normally web browser decides a file to be downloaded or opened within a tab based on various types of headers a programming language passes. These headers define content composition in...
- Best PHP Frameworks & CMSs
PHP is the most popular script when it comes to web development. PHP CMS WordPress Everyone has heard about WordPress – it is no longer about blogging, as you can...
- PHP Date
This article contains various tips for using date in PHP. Get current date and time with defined format print date("Y-m-d H:i:s"); print date("m-d-Y"); Starting from PHP 5.2, we can use...
- PHP Object
An object is a data type that not only allows storing data but also method on, how to handle that data. An object is a specific instance of a class...
- PHP String
PHP only supports a 256-character set, and hence does not offer native Unicode support. Replace a word inside a string $str = "Kotlin can be used to develop mobile app.";...
- PHP Number
Number in PHP belongs to one of the following primitive data types: Integer, Floating point number or Float. Round a number up to nearest 5 $roundedNumber = (ceil($number)%10 === 0)...
- PHP Array
An array in PHP is actually an ordered map that can hold more than one value at a time. Define/Delete an array An array can be created using the array()...
- PHP php.ini Directives
php.ini is an important file which declares default settings for running applications that require PHP. It is used to control variables such as upload sizes, file timeouts, and resource limits....