Many developers who fall in love with Flutter might ask a question about the capability of Flutter in game development some times.
Flutter Game Engines
The good news is that there are libraries which have been developed to allows game creation in Flutter.
Flame is a minimalistic Flutter game engine.
The engine provides a complete set of out-of-the-way solutions for the common problems making game in Flutter.
The latest version features:
- a game loop
- a component/object system
- bundles a physics engine (box2d)
- audio support
- effects and particles
- gesture and input support
- images, sprites and sprite sheets
- basic Rive support
- and a few other utilities to make development easier
Box2D physics engine is a famous physics engine for 2D game development. forge2d is a port of Box2D for Dart.
SpriteWidget is an open source toolkit for building complex, high performance animations and 2D games with Flutter. You can use SpriteWidget to create anything from an animated icon to a full fledged game.
Let’s take a look at 2 demos created by this library:
Bonfire helps build RPG games and similar with the power of FlameEngine. This tool was built over FlameEngine and all its resources and classes are available to be used along with Bonfire.
There are many games which’ve been made in Flutter already. They are mostly in genres which don’t require too many activities of graphics and physics on screen such as quiz, math. With the help of game engines like Flame, the genre becomes broader.
Here are some games I found:
- Darkness Dungeon – This is a dungeon crawler written with Flame and Bonfire.
- BWO – An infinity procedural online game using Flutter and flames with NodeJS and Firebase for the back-end.
- Picture Match – This is a memory matching game in which every round you remember matching images in given time.
- Tetris – Classic Tetris game console written in Flutter.
- Grid Circuit Puzzle – Complete the circuits to win!
- Sudoku – Classic sudoku game.
- Quiz – I made this game, just to test how Flutter for web works.
- Mitch Koko’s games – This dev remake some classic game such as Pacman, Tetris, Snake game, Flappy Bird in Flutter.